Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First hike- Pheasant Branch Conservancy and Frederick's Knoll


I have walked around the Pheasant Branch Conservancy many, many times since I began teaching yoga in Middleton at Harbor Wellness which is essentially right across the street from the conservancy.  As part of my commitment to the book 60 Hikes within 60 Miles (of Madison) by Kevin Revolinsky, I made the trek again.  In the book, the author combines both sides of the conservancy into a 3 hour or 7.6 mile hike.  I decided to take one side of the road at a time.

On July 14th (yes, I need to catch up) a friend and I headed out with her kid in the stroller, knowing the small gravel of the loop side of the trail would be accommodating to the stroller wheels.  However, I also knew we would have to part at Frederick's Knoll.  The trail up the hill is cut prairie grass and is often very lumpy.  But the view, is so worth it!  This is where you truly understand you are walking around the Pheasant Branch Creek.
 


The entire trail, except near the Knoll is surrounded by housing.  It is very well used by walkers, runners, and bikers.  There are areas with boardwalks and bridges to traverse over the creek.  At the base of this photo, you can see an overlook structure and here the spring bubbles up.  It takes an hour to an hour 15 minutes or more to hike the full loop of Pheasant Branch and there are some hilly areas besides the knoll.  However, it is mostly an easy flat hike/walk.  For someone often hiking alone, it is nice to have a place where I know I will see others and be near something safe, so this is a good bad weather or late night hike. I once walked late on a spring night and found a very delightful woman walking the same pace and so we walked and chatted for the rest of our distance together.

I enjoy this hike because I love the knoll so much.  It is a nice challenge and it is prairie all the way up.  The top of the knoll is covered with oak trees - which I love!  One down side is that on occasion, the nearby CAFO or cattle factory in Waunakee sends it's stench along with the wind.  I find that there are always positives and negatives to each hike.  Ease, parking, gravel might be positives but they also mean traffic noise, factory smells, and other civilization related negatives.  Some days I want more of a natural experience and some days this is the perfect place.  We are lucky to have it so near - 15-20 min. for most Madison residents and closer for Middleton residents.


Prairie Grass


Seed pods from a prairie plant (someone please tell me what this is, because I love it!)
The winding branches of the oak trees on top of Frederich's Knoll
The farm fields can be seen beyond the branches of this oak tree


Queen Anne's Lace seemed to love this dry summer weather
One of the few really colorful flowers in the prairie on this day



Directions:  There are several starting points along Hwy M in Middleton and also Pheasant Branch Rd.  Easy to find or stop and ask anywhere!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment