Sunday, August 19, 2012

Beginning

Some years ago I started a "bucket list" which didn't exist back then, because the movie hadn't come out.  My list was actually a "25 things to do before you die" list.  I had recently read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson as recommended by my dear uncle.  We both loved walks in the woods, nature, adventure and the hilarity of Bryson's adventure/ordeal.  I am not the first one to be inspired thus.  However, there's more inspiration to the story.

My uncle has since died, and my life has moved in all sorts of directions, not getting any nearer to the Appalachian Mountains.  I recently read another book, this a self-help type book called The 4 Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss.  I haven't finished this one as is usually the case with self-help books and me (I need time to implement!).  I am taking time now to implement some of the ideas recommended by Ferriss.  First was a list:  5 things you want to do, 5 things you want to be, and 5 things you want to have.  They are not in that order, but I like this order better.  My list ofthings to have is sad - a new roof, a new garage... I am not much for more stuff.  However, on my list of things to be and to do:  a hiker who has hiked the Appalachian Trail!  Ferriss then helps his readers work through how to do, be and have all you want. 

I realized that financially, hiking the AT is currently not possible (Ferriss claims otherwise, but I haven't read that far yet).  I could have just given up there.  But, because I'd begun to catch on to Ferriss' motivational style, I thought "even if I had the money I needed to set off for months and months hiking, I wasn't in any way in shape for such an adventure, nor am I prepared!"

This is where book number 3 comes in (anyone who knows me well knows that I am usually reading 7-8 books at a time- very much frowned upon by the author of The 4 Hour Work Week).  My third inspiration is 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Madison by Kevin Revolinsky (also known as Kev Rev, which is cool!).  I live in Madison and I have walked and hiked many places, but 60?!  Who knew?!  I decided I could very easily start right here and hike my way to the Appalachian Trail! 

And so my journey begins.  This blog idea came late and I have hiked a few trails already, so I will need to spend some time back-tracking......

No comments:

Post a Comment