Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Natural Bridge State Park




There are many hikes to choose from in the area just before Wisconsin Dells.  On this particular day, I first visited Devil's Lake State Park.  It was cold and chilly - not even 60 degrees and cloudy.  The lake wind was an additional discomfort.  I decided to have my lunch at the park and then decide if I was going to do one of the 3 hikes offered from this park.  In the end, the number of people at Devil's Lake decided it for me. 

Funny thing, I had been listening to a book on introverts in the car.  I am an introvert and today, my wanting to hike alone seemed justified by author Susan Cain's (the book is Quiet, The Power of Introverts...) words.  I left and found Natural Bridge State Park instead.  While I was not alone on this hike, the viewing of the bridge was what most visitors were there to do.  The bridge is a sandstone arch and is known to be one of the oldest settlements in North America.  It has been excavated and some of the archaeological finds go back to 9000-8000 BC.

The natural bridge

I had a terrible time following the directions outlined in the book 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Madison.  While the bridge side of the park is not very complicated and involves just a mile or so of hiking, the park crosses over the county road on which the park entrance is located.  This is where I got confused.  Very small signs with a single arrow, barely noticeable, point the way.  I crossed the road to what looked to me to be a cornfield.  A tractor was out there mowing.  Was I meant to follow the mowed trail?  Easier said than done, he seemed to be wandering all over the place in no discernible trail-like pattern.

The cornfield


I took a chance, followed it to my left and was greeted by deer.  At first just one doe.  Her hide was the color of a red fox.  In the surrounding green, it was quite startling.  She seemed to be moving slowly toward me and I could not figure out what I should do next.  Finally, she ran right and I followed somewhat, seeing a wide road-like path up a hill.  At the top, was a wide circle of green surrounded by a stand of trees and there was the doe with a buck.  The buck was the same color and had 4-6 points.  The pair quickly ran off.  I did a Maria von Trapp circle of the hill and headed back down.

My friend the doe, coming closer......
Again confused, I decided that if something was not made clear to me in the way of a sign, I would cross back over the road and give up.  There it was!  The tiny brown sign with the single arrow.  I followed it.  I was out of the corn and climbing steadily into a wooded area.  This was worth it!  I met 2 sets of hikers on this path going the opposite direction that I was going and I realized, I had taken the direction that was harder to navigate.  Had I been more able to figure out the book's directions or copied them and brought them along, I might have gone into this part of the park where it was much easier to follow the signage. Lesson learned!

The path on the ridge

A bit of a challenge up the ridge and I loved every minute of it.  The chill of the day faded as I began to sweat and work my way up.  The highest point here is almost 1100 feet and from the direction in that I took, it's a pretty steep climb.  The way down was a bit less steep.  Crossing the road, I am again walking among several other visitors.  I am not annoyed by their presence and appreciate the fact that a state park needs visitors and it is great that these few have made the trek here to see the bridge.

While I know others are concerned about my lonely hikes, I find them invigorating!  Me and nature - just doesn't get any better than that.  If I know that I am very much alone on a hike, I make sure to text a friend to let her know where I am and what time I will be done with my hike.  We both set our alarms and I make sure to let her know when I am safe and sound.  I know this doesn't prevent something from happening out there, but it at least could help someone find me, if necessary.  I do enjoy an occasional companion on a hike, but a lone hike is medicine for my mind and my soul when life is busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment